Thursday 8 August 2019

Woodblock flooring in Derby streets.

Woodblock paving in Derby Market
Whilst walking around Derby recently in the company of my cousins we visited the market which is being renovated. They told me to look at the floor and identify the material used.


To their apparent surprise I immediately said, 'Woodblock paving'.




Woodblock paving in Derby Market

They were not to know that I possess several books on roadmaking dating from the 1900s onwards.

Such things interest me. 

What my books taught me was that the blocks were cut across the grain so that the wood fibres stood vertically. This ensured that the block carried the weight of traffic evenly. 
Advertisement for woodblock paving, 1922.




If the blocks had been cut along the grain then only the upper layer would be subjected to the abrasion and this would shorten the life of the paving.







The Derby floods of 1932



My mother lived in Derby as a child and I remember her telling me that in the terrible floods of 1932, the streets which had been laid with woodblock paving lifted and floated away.






No comments:

Post a Comment