Friday 13 March 2015

Yehudi Menuhin Hall

I gave a lecture recently at the Yehudi Menuhin School at Stoke d'Abernon in Surrey. The school was opened in 1964 before the M25 was built and the latter now passes close by, providing a twenty four hour sotto voce accompaniment to academic life.

Yehudi Menuhin Hall seen from the car park.
Where is the disabled persons' access?

I was a little perturbed by the location of the parking for disabled visitors. I accept that the spaces reserved are nearest to the access path, but that path reaches the Hall via a double flight of steps. There was no alternative ramp indicated nor could I find one. What are disabled persons supposed to do?




The audience's view of the lecturer.





The venue for my lecture was in the superb Yehudi Menuhin Hall which was opened in 2006. As one would expect, the acoustics were excellent.




The lecturer's view of the audience.

The hall seats 300 on a 360 degree azimuth. Luckily no person chose to sit behind me but I discovered when I started my lecture that the projector was behind the screen. 
The full import of this was revealed when I directed my laser pointer onto the screen and the red dot disappeared, presumably because the screen was not reflective but light-porous.

No comments:

Post a Comment