Monday 22 September 2014

Potatoes in Piedmont

Here we are in Sauze d'Oulx, a ski resort in the Piedmontese region of Italy. Yes, I know, I don't ski but the Hotel Derby in the Via Monfol made me an offer I could not refuse.

The ski resort is part of the Via Lattia (the Milky Way) which was developed in the 1930s by Giovanni Agnelli, the owner of FIAT. Out of season, Sauze has a quaint, village-like atmosphere with everybody seemingly greeting everybody else by name in the street. 

Potatoes


There was no snow of course but we did have potatoes. The annual potato festival took place on the Saturday, right outside the Hotel Derby.





Potato Menu




Not only do I not ski, I am not particularly fond of potatoes, so I was completely nonplussed by the menu for the festival meal which featured potatoes at every course.






Would you queue to eat potatoes?


And dumbstruck by the sight of people paying money and queuing up to eat potatoes.










This is not a potato.

It is a cabbage.

I like cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment