Tuesday 28 January 2014

Talking and Reading

How many of you read that title and understood it to be referring to two activities rather than an activity and a location?

Yesterday I gave a talk in Reading, (pronounced 'redding') the town in Berkshire. It was the first time that I had visited it for about twenty years. Back in the 1960s I spent occasional evenings at the greyhound racing track where I was surprisingly successful in my betting when you consider that I knew nothing about dogs and could not count. My clever technique had nothing to do with either dogs or counting -- I always stopped when I had won more than I had started with. 

What did I know about Reading? Huntley & Palmers made biscuits there and, according to my friend Anthony who knew everything there was to know about buses, Reading was the first town in England to install a contra-flow bus lane.

So yesterday I was talking and reading in Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment